[Samba] FreeBSD samba server returns nt_status_acces_denied when DosStream xattr larger than 64KB

Andrew Walker walker.aj325 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 12:08:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 7:37 AM, Ralph Böhme <slow at samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 08:26:22PM -0500, Andrew Walker via samba wrote:
> > It's also interesting to note that ReFS in windows has a 128KB limit on
> the
> > size of alternate data streams.
> >
> > When you try to write an overly large stream, the ReFS-backed server
> > replies with "NT_STATUS_FILE_SYSTEM_LIMITATION" (0xc0000427) rather than
> > "access denied". The windows client handles this more gracefully than a
> > simple access denied message. It allows users to skip the file / doesn't
> > pop up a password prompt.
>
> oh, that's interesting. Can you please file a bugreport and assign it to
> me so
> we can keep track of this? Thanks!
>
> Cheerio!
> -slow

Sorry for the late reply. I submitted a request for permission to submit a
bug report about this. It was rather meta.

Would you like me to use wireshark to get packet captures of Windows and
Mac clients trying to write large streams to a ReFS-backed Windows share? I
might not be able to set up a test environment to do this for a couple of
weeks.

Andrew