[Samba] extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Aug 11 12:57:37 UTC 2017

Hai andres,

No, in this case it was the 4.2.14 (latest) from debian jessie.
Ive not checked 4.5.8 on stretch, i skipped that version.

Wat is suspect is, the following, based on experiance and things i noticed.
As far i know this involves Ubuntu 12.x 14.x and debian Wheezy/Jessie (dont know about ubuntu 16.x and 17.x )

if bind interfaces is set with : eth0 lo
Somethings samba fails to start, solution, set ipadres for eth0 ( this is why i always set the ipnumbers)

Now, add the slow network speed problem to this.

This smells to me its a wrong startup order, or samba started before all interfaces where up or able to detect nic speed.
But i did not put much effort in the correct solution, change to ip and it works always.

Debian Stretch, as fas i see now, due to much better boot order of systemd.
So on Stretch, this problem is (probely) not happening, i did not test it. (yet)

Greetz,

Louis