[Samba] extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Aug 11 10:55:03 UTC 2017

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:26:35 +0200
Andreas Heinlein via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 11.08.2017 um 10:16 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
> > Hai,
> >
> > I got a personal notice of a user, which server was running 4.2.14
> > (debian jessie), he only got 10-14Mb/s, after upgrading to my 4.6.6
> > package (now 4.6.7, he is now getting the full gigabit connection
> > speed.
> >
> > Now if you dont want to upgrade you can try set the nic speed in
> > smb.conf. ( man smb.conf )
> > interface[;key1=value1[,key2=value2[...]]]
> >
> >        Known keys are speed, capability, and if_index. Speed is
> > specified in bits per second.
> >
> > And i must say, this should not be needed, but its possible the
> > speed is wrongly detected. I was not able to determin why this was
> > on his server, i had access to console for this one. (its a college
> > of me)
> >

> Hello,
>
> Just for curiosity, what about version 4.5.8? This is the version
> included in current Debian stable (stretch).
>
> bye,
> Andreas

If you are going to upgrade, you might as well go for the highest
version you can, this will probably mean using Louis's packages.

Samba is a rapidly changing program, a new minor version is released
every 6 months (approx) and the changes are significant.

4.7.0 is due out at in September and there are going to be a lot of
improvements in it.

Rowland