[Samba] extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Aug 11 07:48:16 UTC 2017

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 09:26:54 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-08-10 um 21:35 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
>
> > Can I also suggest you remove these lines:
> >
> >     winbind enum users  = yes
> >     winbind enum groups = yes
> >
> > You do not need them and guess what, they slow Samba down.
>
> I also have these lines on a DM server, I assume because I took them
> with me over the years ... may I also remove them?

I think you mean 'should' rather than 'may' ;-)

Without those two lines, Samba will still know who your users and
groups are, the only real obvious change is that 'getent passwd' will
only show local Unix users and 'getent group' will only show local Unix
groups. Using a username or group with getent will show the info for
the username or group.

Having those two line in smb.conf is NOT required, everything will work
without them.

Rowland