[Samba] extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Aug 10 19:35:20 UTC 2017

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 20:39:45 +0200
Emmanuel Florac <eflorac at intellique.com> wrote:

> Le Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:46:12 +0100
> Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> écrivait:
>
> > 4.2.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, there have been a lot of
> > changes since 4.2.* came out.
> >
> > Can I suggest you go here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/
> >
> > You can get a much more recent version there, 4.6.7
>
> OK I'll try it, but that doesn't really explain why it's so slow,
> while it's completely OK on other similar or slower  machines...
> Actually it's the first time ever, with any Samba version (including
> 3.6.x) that I have such a bad performance on a 10GigE equipped
> system. I even usually got better performance with bonded Gb
> interfaces 8 or 9 years ago...

As I said, there have been a lot of changes to Samba since 4.2.x, some
of these changes have been aimed at getting Samba to work faster and,
as far as I am aware, there are more in the upcoming 4.7.0.

Can I also suggest you remove these lines:

    winbind enum users  = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes

You do not need them and guess what, they slow Samba down.

Rowland