[Samba] Allow single sub-folder access on an otherwise prohibited share - why does the solution work?

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Fri Aug 4 12:17:12 UTC 2017

Andrew, Klaus, let me first thank you for your hints and explanations,
and apologize that I didn't respond in time! Actually, I simply forgot
about having posted my question due to high work load in other areas.

Yes, denial takes precedence over permission, also in Windows/Samba,
afaik. Which is why step 2 of my 2nd solution works.

And yes, explicit permissions take precedence over inheritance, which is
why step 3 of my 2nd solution works. But to my intuition, this should
apply to the first solution as well: granting explicit permissions
(actually any explicit or implicit ACL mentioning of that user/group)
ONLY for the folder in question.

The missing 'traverse' permission seems to be the culprit. Thanks to
both of you!

Although I am a bit puzzled:
- step 1 (adding user to Teaching group, which has 'modify' permission
for the whole share) obviously includes 'traversal'
- step 2 (adding user to Teaching_Users_restricted, being _denied_ 'full
control' for the whole share) should also include the 'traversal'
Those two steps should cancel each other out, no?

In any way, just providing the 'traverse' permission for the above
folders works perfectly. Thanks again!

Any yes, we are using shortcuts. But mapping a network drive to this
particular sub-folder works, as well.

Ole