[Samba] Not enough storage space error

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 4 03:14:42 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-08-04 at 06:34 +0530, Anantha Raghava wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
> From the day one, we set the log level to 3. Log size is really huge.
> However, I did not see some thing very interesting and related to
> this error. It is all to do with user login, information, etc. Should
> I have to increase the log level to get more info?
> One thing we noticed. When we restart the samba-ad-dc service, it
> allows us to add new users, add new computers to domain, and even
> move the user from one OU to another. However, from last two days, at
> around evening (around 4:45 PM), samba all of a sudden cuts off all
> users from domain and even fails to list the domain controllers in
> RSAT. If we restart samba-ad-dc, it starts working properly.
> Now we need to see, what is that event that is causing this cut off
> all of a sudden? Is it a shear coincidence? Or is it something to do
> with the large number of PCs are now getting added from different
> places? Incidentally, we use the same domain admin account (limited
> administrator) to add PCs to domain. Is this causing some problem?

Can you track the memory use of samba over time?

You say elsewhere that there is plenty of RAM free, but is that still
the case just before it blows up?

Can you try Samba 4.7rc, where we made LDAP multi-process?  That would
keep any memory leak more isolated, which might help us find it.

You can also look for some clues in the output of:

 smbcontrol $PID pool-usage

It is very verbose, but careful analysis over time might give a clue
where the memory is.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--