[Samba] disable SMBv1 on AD

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Thu Aug 3 08:29:28 UTC 2017

Hi Sonic,

> Was looking into how to disable SMBv1 and NetBIOS on a Samba AD.
>
> I suspect that if one just wants to support Win7 and "greater" this
> should work. However to prevent some open NetBIOS ports the "nbt"
> service must be removed from the "server services" entry.

you can add the two lines to smb.conf to disable netbios support
  [global]
    disable netbios = yes
    smb ports = 445

Before disabling, when running "samba-tool processes", you get a
  nbt_server             11464

After disabling it shouldn't be there anymore. You can doublecheck that
netbios port are not open anymore

  netstat -apn | grep ':139\|:138\|:137'

Netbios can and should be removed on modern network. After it sometime
fails the reality check with legacy applications, cnc, embedded system
and all.

Cheers,

Denis

--