[Samba] winbind and white spaces on user/group names

Thomas Creutz thomas.creutz at gmx.de
Thu Apr 27 08:38:25 UTC 2017

Am 19.04.2017 um 17:11 schrieb Rowland Penny:
>> I know it is ugly, but it is not born on my idea. But MS also dont
>> have any problems with it. Is it not really supported in samba?
> It is actually a Unix thing and doesn't really have anything to do with
> Samba.

I can't confirm fully - linux can handle spaces as well as windows can
(take as example a look on file systems from win and linux). Its more
program specific like wbinfo.
Thats why I want to come back to the wbinfo command: how can I query
with it for username with the space. Maybe, when I get the wbinfo
command working - it will also work in squid...

> A quick google turned this up:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/squid-ldap-auth-there-is-a-space-in-user-name-4175534074/

thanks for the hint - but the ldap querys are really urgly, because you
have to match the memberof with the ou at the same time. I had it
running, but want to switch to winbind, because it is 1. little bit more
secure (ntlm/kerberos) and more easy (to complicated ldap querys).

Thomas