[Samba] Samba authentication using non-AD Kerberos?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 21:23:38 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-20, 03:35, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
> Not windows clients without much pain.  In theory Windows can
> join a non-AD KDC, but it is incredibly rarely done.

Would you mind to give clearer picture how much pain we are
talking about here? Any link to somebody who did it? I need to
compare it to the pain of another alternatives I have in the
table, like let clients mount files using sshfs.

On 2017-04-22, 02:27, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
> As I mentioned first up, please set
> security=user
>>          password server = mykerberos.myrealm.ca
>
> Don't set this.  Samba won't be contacting the KDC, in
> Kerberos that is the client's job.

Turn out when I manage to get it working, neither option matter,
I can set it up either way and still works. This is the
configuration that works:

[global]
         workgroup = MYREALM.CA
         server string = MyTest Samba Server Version %v
         netbios name = myserver
         dns proxy = no
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 50