[Samba] Setting up a Share Using Windows ACLs

Henry henry at incred.com.au
Tue Apr 25 11:32:37 UTC 2017

> I'll try running RSAT on a different Windows client and see if there
> is any difference.
>

>> What I do think is, it isn't a good idea to create Samba shares with
>> spaces in the name, use an underscore instead.
>>
>> Rowland

OK, here are my findings and I hope this helps someone (possibly me in
12 months time).

I spun up 2012r2 in a VM and had exactly the same problems. What I found
was:

if RSAT is unable to access the folder then the "Security" tab does not
appear. i.e. if the folder does not exist in Linux. Further to this is
if RSAT is unable to read/access the folder the "Security" tab does not
exist.

When using spaces in the folder name I used "\" to escape the spaces so
in smb.conf I had:
[Test me]
        path = /srv/samba/data/Test\ Me/
        read only = no

This resulted in RSAT displaying the folder path as:
"C:\srv\samba\data\Test\ Me\"

Accordingly the spaces were not being escaped properly, the folder could
not be found and the "Security" tab was not available. This was resolved
by changing smb.conf to:
[Test me]
        path = "/srv/samba/data/Test Me/"
        read only = no

This resulted in RSAT displaying the folder path as:
"C:\srv\samba\data\Test Me\"

Accordingly the spaces were escaped properly, the folder could be found
and the "Security" tab was available.