[Samba] Setting up a Share Using Windows ACLs

Henry henry at incred.com.au
Tue Apr 25 08:52:30 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-25 18:09, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 17:50:49 +1000
> Henry via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

>> On 2017-04-25 17:46, Rowland Penny wrote:

>> > This is a Unix thing, you cannot have a space in anything i.e.
>> >
>> > getent group Domain Users
>> >
>> > will not work, but:
>> >
>> > getent group "Domain Users"
>> >
>> > will.
>> >
>> > Rowland
>>
>> root at aphrodite:~# getent group "Domain Admins"
>> domain admins:x:10001:
>> root at aphrodite:~# getent group Domain\ Admins
>> domain admins:x:10001:
>> root at aphrodite:~#
>>

> Well yes, but:
>
> root at member1:~# getent group Domain Admins
> root at member1:~#
>
> Unless you do something to work around the space, Unix treats each part
> as a different name, so 'getent group Domain Admins' becomes:
>
> getent group Domain
> getent Group Admins
>
> Rowland

Thanks Rowland, you are correct.
My share folder name with a space was escaped using "\" and I do have
another test share with a space in the folder name that works !
So changing the folder name to something new makes it work and if
changed back it stops working so somewhere there must be a memory of the
old folder name with retained config problems.
I bet it's stored in a Samba db or similar however this is beyond my
skill set.