[Samba] Setting up a Share Using Windows ACLs

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Apr 23 07:01:56 UTC 2017

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 14:07:44 +1000
Henry via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Following:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
>
> In windows:
>
> I can set permissions under the "Share Permissions" tab.
>
> I am unable to make ANY changes under the "Security". When I try I am
> presented with:
>
> "Remotely setting permissions on the folder at the root of a share
> removes all inherited permissions from the root folder and all
> subfolders.  To set permissions without removing the inherited
> permissions, click No and either change the permissions on a child
> folder or make the change while logged in locally"
>
> Under "Share Permissions" I have:
>
> Domain Admins = Full Control
>
> Domain Users = Read & Change
>
> As it stands I am unable to access the share (using a Domain Admins
> account) however I am unable to do anything.

As it stands, when you create the share as shown on the wiki page:

# mkdir -p /srv/samba/Demo/

It ends up belonging to root:root with drwxr-xr-x permissions

Or to put it it another way the 'root' user has full permissions on
the directory, members of the 'root' group have read and enter
permissions, the same goes for any other users or groups. This all
means that members of the Domain Admins group cannot write to the
directory.

Try this:

chown root:Domain\ Admins /srv/samba/Demo/
chmod 0770 /srv/samba/Demo/

Now try to set the permissions from windows.

If this works and I am sure it will, I will update the wiki page.

Rowland