[Samba] checking replication after Samba update

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Sat Apr 22 14:27:09 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-22 09:15, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 08:47:53 -0500
> Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> On 2017-04-22 07:36, Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba wrote:
>
> I have updated from Samba 4.5.0 to 4.6.2 on my second DC and all
> appears good, so far.
>
> On the "https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba" [1 [1]]
> page of the documentation in section "Updating Multiple Samba
> Domain Controllers". The last line " . . . and always verify that
> the replication is working correctly."
>
> The replication discussed here. Is this the database? (i.e. run
> "samba-tool dbcheck"?)
>
> --
> _______________________________
>
> Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba"
> I remembered and ran "samba-db-check-repl.sh" and I am seeing the
> following at the end of the generated email:
>
> * Result for [DNSFOREST]: FAILURE
>
> SUMMARY
> ---------
>
> Attributes found only in ldap://dtdc3.dtsh.dt:
>
> DC
>
> Attributes found only in ldap://dtdc4.dtsh.dt.:
>
> dc
>
> Is this capitalization and non-capitalized causing me issues?
> Suggestions?

No, it is an artefact of a (I now think fixed) bug and it doesn't seem
to cause any problems ;-)

Rowland

So, two questions:

1. I am correct, run the "samba-db-check-repl.sh" to check the
replication discussed within the Samba updating instructions mentioned
in my initial post?

2. Old (first) DC (the one running the FSMO roles) is still running
Samba v4.5.0 and will be updated as soon as I finish confirming I do not
have any replication problems. If this is the only complaint I am seeing
then most likely the DC's are replicating fine?

Okay, three questions, any other tests I need to run to confirm
replication is okay between the two DC's?