[Samba] Samba AD with internal DNS: Can't resolve aliases anymore

Dirk Heinrichs dirk.heinrichs at altum.de
Sat Apr 22 09:27:06 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've setup a Samba 4 based AD server a while ago and everything was
working fine for some time. However, since a few days it seems it
doesn't resolve aliases anymore. I can query them using the host
command, but a simple ping then fails to resolve the name:

% host alias1
alias1.altum.de is an alias for server1.
% ping alias1
ping: alias1: Name or service not known
% ping alias1.altum.de
ping: alias1.altum.de: Name or service not known
% cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.102
search altum.de

OTOH, if I try a non-existent alias, it looks like this:

% ping
alias2
:(
ping: alias2: No address associated with hostname

Any ideas how to debug/solve this?

System is Debian Stretch with Samba 4.5.8, installed from packages.

Thanks...

    Dirk

--
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs at altum.de>
GPG Public Key: D01B367761B0F7CE6E6D81AAD5A2E54246986015