[Samba] winbind and white spaces on user/group names

Thomas Creutz thomas.creutz at gmx.de
Wed Apr 19 14:35:18 UTC 2017

Hello Penny

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 17:47:55 +0200
>
> Are you mixing up the users 'cn' and 'samaccountname' ?
>
> The users 'cn' could be 'max mustermann', but the users
> 'samaccountname' could well be 'max', in fact it can be anything, upto
> 20 characters long and without spaces.

sorry but the sAMAccountName has the white spaces too:

$ ldapsearch -h server -x -LLL -b "dc=mydom,dc=de" -D "cn=Proxy
Benutzer,cn=Users,dc=mydom,dc=de" -W "cn=max mustermann" sAMAccountName
| grep sAMAccountName
Enter LDAP Password:
sAMAccountName: Max Mustermann

I know it is ugly, but it is not born on my idea. But MS also dont have
any problems with it. Is it not really supported in samba?

Regards
Thomas