[Samba] set file permission 755 in samba

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Apr 16 07:06:33 UTC 2017

stay on list and avoid HTML mails

Am 16.04.2017 um 07:17 schrieb Fatemeh Mehdizadeh:
> Thanks for your reply
>
> Where should I set file on a smb share permission. I changed the smb
> config as below:
>
> *create mask = 0644
> directory mask = 0755
> force create mode = 0644

which means only owner has permissions to write

> example:
> My pool is named : *storage*
> I have a dataset int pool named: *test*
>
> I set acl on *test*:
> *setfacl -m u:user1:rwxp:allow storage/test/
>
> *
> Now, user1 connect to server with samba from his system. he create a
> file named salary.txt and a folder named clients.
> the permissions are:
> *
> #ls -l
> drwxr-xr-x  5 user1  wheel   clients
> -rw-r--r--  1 user1 ***wheel*  salary.txt
>
> *
> user1 from his system cannot delete/modify salary.txt although he has
> write permission.
>
> Would you please help me to figure out the mistake?
> Thanks

this has still nothing to do with the wrong topic of "755 for files"
which you could have easily verify by chmod it manually - your original
post did not contain any information about permissions problems besides
"don't look like i want them to look"

which client?

for OSX clients we had enough of what Finder thinks he has permissions
and ended whith enforce read/write for everyone on the filesystem and
control access only with write list / read list for groups in the smb
share configs

if samba then only would ignore any chmod requests from the clients and
enforce  "inherit permissions = yes" and "inherit acls = yes" unconditional