[Samba] Access denied to change share security staff

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 13 19:15:50 UTC 2017

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 14:18:16 -0400
Rommel Rodriguez Toirac via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>  I can change the permissions of share and I can change and add (or
> remove) the owners of that share using the Share permissions tab, but
> when try to change something with the Security tab there is when
> happen the Access denied. I work in that tab, When I open it the user
> and group listed are: All root (Unix User\root)
> root (Unix Group\root)
> CREATOR OWNER
> CREATOR GROUP
>
> All of then just with Specials permissions set.
>
>  When I try to add some other user or group, in the moment of Accept
> or Aply the system say:
>
>  "Error trying to apply the security information to:"
>  "\\GTMPVE.GTM.ONAT.GOB.CU\compartir"
>  "Access denied"
>
> And then any change happens.

If the change occurs, but you get the 'error' message before, then you
can ignore the error, it is being caused by the differences between
Samba AD and windows AD.

If the changes don't work, can you try the following:

Run the 'net rpc rights list privileges' command on the Unix machine
that holds the share, this will confirm that 'Domain Admins' has the
required privilege.

Change the group ownership of the share i.e. from the wiki page:

chgrp 'Domain Admins' /srv/samba/Demo

Now try again from windows.

Rowland