[Samba] IPv6?

Phil Susi psusi at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 11 12:54:15 UTC 2017

I noticed that samba is listening on IPv6, so I became curious and
wondered if I could actually use it, and so far, it looks like it isn't
usable.

Running nbtstat -A fe80::216:3eff:fe6f:1f3a on Windows returns the
stupid message that the address must be in the a.b.c.d format.  I then
tried using nbtlookup from linux:

nmblookup -S -U '[fe80::216:3eff:fe6f:1f3a]' \*
10.1.1.232 *<00>
Looking up status of 10.1.1.232
        DEVSERV2        <00> -         B <ACTIVE>

Why is it reporting the IPv4 address when I queried it with the IPv6
address?  It looks like nmbd is listening on IPv6, but does not or is
not able to report an IPv6 address.