[Samba] User database

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Apr 5 06:13:48 UTC 2017

Hello Michael,

Am 05.04.2017 um 03:08 schrieb Michael Blahay via samba:
 > Is it required to include users in the Samba user database?

For NT4 and AD domains, users are stored centrally in the domain
database on the PDC/DC. On domain members, users are pulled from the
PDC/DC. Central management of users is one of the major reasons why you
set up a domain.

On standalone hosts with authentication, users must exist in the OS
(doesn't matter where they are stored: passwd, NIS, LDAP, etc.) _and_ in
the local Samba database. This is described here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server#Creating_a_Local_User_Account

 > I have had to thus far, but the documentation does not seem to
 > spell it out,...

Which documentation?

Regards,
Marc