[Samba] Plans to migrate to python3

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 5 05:25:53 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-04-04 at 21:17 -0700, John Hixson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 12:26:35PM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > Thanks.  How would you like to assist?
> >
> > We essentially need more parts of Samba migrated to python3
> > compatible
> > code, both in the C bindings (most of the work is in this area) and
> > the
> > python code.  All changes need tests, including where the existing
> > code
> > is not tested (which can make this quite a bit of work).
> >
> > Have a look over the latest set of changes to get an idea what kind
> > of
> > work is required.
>
> I'll take a look at the code when I have some free time and let you
> guys
> know what I can do.

Thanks.  One warning is that we need all the changes to be tested, even
if the original code wasn't tested.  This is a royal pain, but
otherwise this all becomes a little too risky.

I just wanted to mention that to you upfront, so you are aware of it.

Finally, do be in touch with Lumir Balhar, CC'ed as he has done much of
the work in this area, and propose your patches on samba-technical.
I've set reply-to that list as this is the better place to discuss the
details.

Thanks!

Andrew Bartlett

--