[Samba] Public share ask for a password

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 13:12:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:21:23 +0100
> "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hai,
>>

>> I suggest NOT to use fstab but systemd startups if you on debian
>> jessie.
>>

>> Get to know systemd and if you do i’ll bet you like it.
>>
>> I know only on that hates it.. dont you Rowland. ;-)
>
> I am not the only one Louis and this is one of the reasons why.
> Just what has an init system got to do with mounting a filesystem ??

In and of itself? Nothing. With tools linked to it, like the stable
and well supported "autofs", ideally configured with a relevant and
protected CIFS credential file? A great deal. I find autofs very handy
for network shares that might fail at any time.

I would most certainly *not* attempt to craft a replacement for autofs
out of systemd init scripts. That way lies a lot of the problems with
systemd.