[Samba] Problem with Samba 4.5.8 as a macOS server

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Apr 3 14:07:45 UTC 2017

Am 03.04.2017 um 15:46 schrieb Frank Heldt via samba:
> Switching between afp:// and smb:// on the Mac looks exactly the same (eg Tags are seen on both sides), the performance under Finder via smb:// for this share is visibly faster (lots of files there). So that’s perfect :-)
>
> The problem is the create/directory mask: it is totally ignored! Every file/folder I create via smb has no group write access, although the mask should give it this. Even the force modes are ignored.
>
> Any idea what is going on here? Did I miss something?

the stupid apple clients are doing chmod *after* the transfer, so the
files are *created* with the correct permissions but afterwards changed

samba is *really* missing a option 'ignore chmod and answer with
success' because that makes so much problems on environments where you
define user permissions based on groups for whole shares and hence you
have users in multiple groups

currently the only very dirty workaround si running a cronjob every day
make sure permissions are 0770/0660 but that's hardly a good solution
and since apple reacts completly stupid thebest bet is put your head in
the sand and use 2777 recursive so that finder not pretends "you have no
write permissions" while the user in fact has