[Samba] Problem with Samba 4.5.8 as a macOS server

Frank Heldt frawehel at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 3 13:46:49 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I’m trying to use samba 4.5.8 as a file server for my Macs (all 10.12.4 now), as a replacement for netatalk.

I did setup smb.conf as suggested

	#
	# Options for macOS
	# http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Netatalk_3.1.11_SRPM_for_Fedora_and_CentOS <http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Netatalk_3.1.11_SRPM_for_Fedora_and_CentOS>
	#
	ea support = yes
	vfs objects = btrfs catia fruit streams_xattr
	fruit:encoding = native
	streams_xattr:store_stream_type = no
	streams_xattr:prefix = user.
	# don’t use unix ext.
	unix extensions = no

and a share

[Transfer]
	path = /data/Transfer
	public = yes
	writable = yes
	printable = no
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775

Switching between afp:// and smb:// on the Mac looks exactly the same (eg Tags are seen on both sides), the performance under Finder via smb:// for this share is visibly faster (lots of files there). So that’s perfect :-)

The problem is the create/directory mask: it is totally ignored! Every file/folder I create via smb has no group write access, although the mask should give it this. Even the force modes are ignored.

On the Mac: smbutil statshares -a

Transfer
                              SERVER_NAME                   XXXXXX
                              USER_ID                       502
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
                              SMB_VERSION                   SMB_3.02
                              SMB_SHARE_TYPE                DISK
                              SIGNING_SUPPORTED             TRUE
                              EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED   TRUE
                              UNIX_SUPPORT                  TRUE
                              LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED          TRUE
                              OS_X_SERVER                   TRUE
                              CLIENT_REQUIRES_SIGNING       TRUE
                              FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED            TRUE
                              DFS_SUPPORTED                 TRUE
                              FILE_LEASING_SUPPORTED        TRUE
                              MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED        TRUE
                              ENCRYPTION_SUPPORTED          TRUE
                              SIGNING_ON                    TRUE

Any idea what is going on here? Did I miss something?

Best regards
Frank