[Samba] Upgrade SAMBA4 and Skip release . . .

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sun Apr 2 17:40:20 UTC 2017

Hi,

Am 02.04.2017 um 19:10 schrieb Micha Ballmann via samba:
> im running three SAMBA4 Domain Controller, version 4.6.0. Is it possible
> to skip a release, when upgrade. For example from 4.6.0 -> 4.6.2 . . .?
> How many steps are possiblerespectively recommendable?

yes, you can skip releases.

I'm not sure if we have an official policy about this. However, updating
between three minor-level series should always be possible, because we
support three in a row at the same time.

For example, currently 4.6 is the newest and 4.4 the oldest Samba series
we support. Therefore, updating from 4.4.x to 4.6.x should be no problem.

However, if you skip patch-level versions (x.y.z) versions, read the
release notes of the versions you skipped. If you switch to a newer
minor-level version (x.y), read the release notes of the initial release
(x.y.0) of each new series between your old and new version, and the
release notes up to the patch-level version of the series you will
install. There may be changes that may have impact on your environment,
such as new parameter defaults.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba
contains some general information about updating Samba and the most
noteable changes (anyway: read the release notes! :-)).

Regards,
Marc