[Samba] Share 'IPC$' has wide links and unix extensions enabled

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 30 17:08:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:14:44 -0400 (EDT)
schulz at adi.com (Thomas Schulz) wrote:

> > On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:14:32 -0400 (EDT)
> > Thomas Schulz via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > > We are running Samba 4.4.6 as a file server.
> > > In the logs for a few client machines I see entries such as:
> > >
> > > [2016/09/29 22:36:58.862575,  0]
> > >     ../source3/param/loadparm.c:4402(widelinks_warning)
> > >   Share 'IPC$' has wide links and unix extensions enabled. These
> > >   parameters are incompatible. Wide links will be disabled for
> > > this share.
> > >
> > > I assume that Share 'IPC$' is some sort of automatically created
> > > share as we define no such share. We do have wide links enabled
> > > globally but we do not have unix extensions enabled anywhere. I
> > > assume that this message is harmless, but I am wondering where it
> > > comes from.
> > >
> > > Tom Schulz
> > > Applied Dynamics Intl.
> > > schulz at adi.com
> > >

> > It is set automatically, try reading 'man smb.conf'
> >
> > Rowland
>
> We have the following in our smb.conf file in the global section:
>
> unix extensions = no
> wide links = yes
>
> Interesting that testparam does not show the setting for wide links
> and I did not remember that we had that setting in smb.conf until I
> went to edit smb.conf to add it.
>
> Reading the smb.conf man page, I don't see anything about a share IPC$
> or anything to show why unix extensions would be automatically enabled
> for any share when 'unix extensions = no' is set globally in smb.conf.
> No other share generates any widelinks_warning messages, so I think
> that the setting 'unix extensions = no' is working in general.
>
> Tom Schulz
> Applied Dynamics Intl.
> schulz at adi.com

OK, according to 'man smb.conf', 'unix extensions = yes' is the default
and if turned on 'wide links' will be disabled, but you have it set to
'no' and 'wide links' turned on.

If you turn on wide links with 'unix extensions = yes', this is when
you are supposed to get the message, but you are getting it with 'unix
extensions = no'. I seem to remember this coming up before. Can you try
setting 'allow insecure wide links = yes' and see if this stops the
log message.

Either way, it looks like a bug

Rowland