[Samba] turned on log level = 10 . . . no logs

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Fri Sep 30 12:01:05 UTC 2016

I have created a second DC and joined it to my first DC. Seemed to go
well, then not. Now experiencing dns issues. My syslog on first DC shows
"Failed to connect host 192.168.xx.49 (22******c8._msdcs.dtshrm.dt) on
port 135 - NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED." (Which is referencing the
second DC connection failed.)

Now, _please set the dns issue aside for the moment_ as I went to my
second DC and set log level to "10" to see what is going on and the
second DC is not generating log files. It did not create
/var/log/samba/* anything. This after a couple of restarts. I checked
the "smbd -b" output of DC2 and Samba is set to "LOGFILEBASE:
/var/log/samba."

The second DC is a Ubuntu 16.04.1LTS running Samba 4.3.9 (from repo) and
bind9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu.

Does anyone know how can I get the logs to generate? Is there something
else I "need to turn on"?

--

Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

615.885.2846