[Samba] Good Bye SAMBA?!?!?

Yvan Masson yvan.masson at openmailbox.org
Thu Sep 29 18:01:30 UTC 2016

Hi Samba list,

Le jeudi 29 septembre 2016 à 16:17 +0200, Reindl Harald via samba a
écrit :

> Am 29.09.2016 um 16:10 schrieb Gilberto Nunes via samba:
> >
> > Perhaps people here in Samba List, at least, half of them, are more
> > flexible and accept others opnion, and do not just throw
> > stones.....
>
> well, you know the quote from "Dirty Harry" about opinions?
> without knowledge it's hard to build a qualified opinion

> > > indeed - Viktor Dukhovny from postfix list would insist Gilberto
> > > read
> > > every relevant RFC and man page before being allowed to have an
> > > opinion.
> > > :-)
> > > got to say - love postfix list's attitude: saves a lot of time

I consider myself as a sysadmin newbie, but I think newbies' opinions
are important: I hope "we" will be in a few decades good sysadmins, and
technologies we want to learn today (AD or Samba) will probably be
those we will want to promote in the future.

I worked in small public schools (50-400 computers, ~10 servers), where
one sysadmin must manage everything "computer related" (computers,
servers including AD, camera, office softwares). When I and other
sysadmins that I know are looking for a technical solution, Microsoft
is often from our point of view the easy way to go, especially
regarding Active Directory: you can get help from many people that have
some expercience with it. We probably do no set it up like "it should
be", but it "does the job", and we can take time to all other things we
have to do.

I think that this is the kind of feeling Gilberto wanted to express,
not more.

Thanks Samba for the really great work you have done so far.

Regards,
Yvan