[Samba] BIND9.8 DLZ performance issue

Arthur Ramsey arthur_ramsey at mediture.com
Thu Sep 29 15:16:14 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm running Samba 4.5.0 and bind-9.8.2-0.47.rc1.el6_8.1.  One DC of
four, the PDC, is magnitudes slower running
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --verbose --all-names.  When that
is running on that DC it seems to block any queries.  The load average
is usually under 0.5.  The DC was unsafely halted, which could have
corrupted something.  I ran a dbcheck with samba-tool and it came back
clean other than the expected cleanup after upgrading to 4.5.0.  Is
there any caches or similar that I could try clearing for BIND?  Usually
at least once a day the memory increases from the typical ~1 GB of usage
to everything the box has, 8 GB physical and 10 GB swap, requiring a
forceful restart, so there appears to be a memory leak as well.  When
memory usage is high, it is from smbd process, which I wouldn't think
would have a correlation to BIND.  Rather than a memory leak, the
blocking seen with DNS queries is also blocking smb clients resulting in
a pile of connections and high memory usage? The load under this
condition is very high, but that is due to high IO and CPU usage from
swapping.  I had similar behavior with 4.4.5, but it was fine for the
first couple of weeks after upgrade.

Thanks,
Arthur

This e-mail and any attachments may contain CONFIDENTIAL information, including PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION. If you are not the intended recipient, any use or disclosure of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED; you are requested to delete this e-mail and any attachments, notify the sender immediately, and notify the Mediture Privacy Officer at privacyofficer at mediture.com.