[Samba] Migrating, Upgrading & Testing Samba 4 PDC/BDC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 29 14:12:11 UTC 2016

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:57:39 +0000
Charish Patel <charish at bluefountainmedia.com> wrote:

> If you mean regular Microsoft AD, the reason is simple: cost.
> Management sadly does not want to shell out the money for it.
>
> If you mean upgrading the Samba PDC to AD, that is what I want to do
> but on the new servers as opposed to the current set up.
>
> Charish

I suggest you start by reading the Samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

There is a specific page to do what you want:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_domain_to_a_Samba_AD_domain_%28classic_upgrade%29

You will only need info from the PDC (note: once you have your first AD
DC up and running, don't call it a PDC, just call it a DC)

You can then join the second DC to the first, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_an_additional_Samba_DC_to_an_existing_Active_Directory

Can I suggest you test all of this first, do not let any of your
production machines connect to the test DCs, they will not connect to
your NT4-style PDC again.

Once you are sure everything is working, you can then do it for real.

Any problems, ask here.

Rowland