[Samba] implement of persistent handle in SMB2.1

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Sep 29 11:18:02 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-28 at 12:50 +0000, Weidong wrote:
> hi Michael:

Hi Weidong,

Thank you for your message!

> We want to implement the ‘persistent handle’ function under
> Windows 7(SMB 2.1), which has only local ‘durable handle’.

Hmm. As you say: Windows 7 / SMB 2.1 does _not_ support
presistent handles. This requires SMB 3.0 or newer.
Windows 7 supports durable handles, which is already
supported in Samba.

> For now my plan is just to synchronize
> the following files between cluster nodes:
> smbXsrv_open_global.tdb.0
> smbXsrv_session_global.tdb.0
> smbXsrv_tcon_global.tdb.0
> locking.tdb.0
>
> It probably won’t be completed, so I’m writing to ask for your
> advice. Any help would be highly appreciated!

These databases are already distributes in the cluster
by ctdb, as the .0 indicates! They are volatile and not
persistent databases though.

In order to implement persistent handles properly, it is correct
that we need to make some content of these DBs persistent, or at
least more persistent than they are now, but it also requires
some modifications in the smb code itself. For the latter, there
are already poc patches circulating, and the real challenge is in
fact the making-persistent of the db data (without loosing too
much of performance).

But I still don't see how this relates to Windows7 / SMB 2.1.
Clarifications appreciated...

Cheers - Michael