[Samba] Good Bye SAMBA?!?!?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 02:12:56 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Gilberto Nunes via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I am sad, today! I start to study how windows deal with CIFS, Active
> Directory and DFS, I just decide follow the other path!
> I will give a try to windows tools....
> The question is: why Linux doesn t have such tools to help and improve
> server deployments?!?
> Everything will be easier than go to linux console and try and try and try
> and nothing happen!
>
> So, for now on, I will use Windows tool in my servers...
> I know many of you guys, just love Linux... I also love Linux, but came on!
> We have a hard way to do thing works properly...
>
> In Windows everything is just forward straight ahead.....

Fir the first week, it looks straightforward. Then you try to use it,
and find the standards violating spaghetti under the hood. Even simple
things like reverse DNS integration with dynamic DNS, are a nightmare
and a half and sensitive to the exact order you do the same
operations. The DNS backups are not even valid DNS zone files because
the SOA is not first and they don't set the default zone before they
start referring to it as ".".. And do not get me *started* on the
completely broken mishandling of PTR, where they support multiple PTR
records for the sam eIP address.

> Sorry! But it's time to shift!
>
> Or, perhaps, I am just do wrong things all this time....
>
> BTW, I will give a try to other ways....
>
> Sorry for outburst!

It's a fairly pretty and even intuitive GUI for undemanding
environments. Like many Microsoft GUI's, it does the first 80% of the
job. Then the remaining details that have to be worked around take the
other 120% of the job.