[Samba] Upgrading samba from source over debian packages

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Sep 28 12:15:27 UTC 2016

Am 28.09.2016 um 13:29 schrieb Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba:
> Out of curiosity I ran "apt remove samba" on Ubuntu 16.04.1LTS and
> removal adds "winbind" packages "will be REMOVED" even though I don't
> want to remove winbind. So, " . . . because distros have different
> package managers and you can run into dependencies problems."

you *want* to remove winbind, you just don't know it - your new build
*will provide* winbind in a matching version and hence you should learn
building packages (and in case of overrides you start with the exact way
the disribution built the specific package, in that case samab and it'sd
sub-packages) and override the distro package in a clean way so that
there is a chance that other packages which require some samba
dependencies are satisfied

that may not always be possible because so-name dependencies but that's
another point of packages - the apckage manager won't let you install
conflicting packages while a dumb "make install" don't and can't care
about system integrity