[Samba] Upgrading samba from source over debian packages

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Wed Sep 28 12:00:17 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-28 06:41, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 06:29:00 -0500
> Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> On 2016-09-28 01:04, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Am 27.09.2016 um 21:14 schrieb Elias Pereira via samba:
>
> Maybe, it would be nice to put on the wiki that step regarding
> uninstall the old packages version. I believe that a good portion
> of users unaware that step. :)
> I only can add a general and installation, because distros have
> different package managers and you can run into dependencies
> problems. For example, when you uninstall Samba, cifs-utils is also
> automatically removed - even if you don't want to compile this
> yourself.
>
> I will see if I find a place where this general information fits
> tonight.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Out of curiosity I ran "apt remove samba" on Ubuntu 16.04.1LTS and
removal adds "winbind" packages "will be REMOVED" even though I don't
want to remove winbind. So, " . . . because distros have different
package managers and you can run into dependencies problems." yes, I
understand you reluctance to adding "uninstall" instructions in the
wiki. IMHO, this is actually a distro related issue.

Marc, you probably already know this but, I just thought everyone
should be aware. I have also seen different types of distro related
issues, like this, in CentOS and Fedora experiments where package
manager is going to un-install and/or install some package due to
dependency requirements.

Bob, if you removing Samba to compile your own version, then it doesn't
matter that winbind is also removed, compiling Samba also provides
winbind.

Rowland

Thanks. I was just accelerated my searching to find the "that" answer.