[Samba] Upgrading samba from source over debian packages

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Wed Sep 28 11:29:00 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-28 01:04, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 27.09.2016 um 21:14 schrieb Elias Pereira via samba:
>
>> Maybe, it would be nice to put on the wiki that step regarding uninstall
>> the old packages version. I believe that a good portion of users unaware
>> that step. :)
>
> I only can add a general and installation, because distros have
> different package managers and you can run into dependencies problems.
> For example, when you uninstall Samba, cifs-utils is also automatically
> removed - even if you don't want to compile this yourself.
>
> I will see if I find a place where this general information fits tonight.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Out of curiosity I ran "apt remove samba" on Ubuntu 16.04.1LTS and
removal adds "winbind" packages "will be REMOVED" even though I don't
want to remove winbind. So, " . . . because distros have different
package managers and you can run into dependencies problems." yes, I
understand you reluctance to adding "uninstall" instructions in the
wiki. IMHO, this is actually a distro related issue.

Marc, you probably already know this but, I just thought everyone should
be aware. I have also seen different types of distro related issues,
like this, in CentOS and Fedora experiments where package manager is
going to un-install and/or install some package due to dependency
requirements.