[Samba] Upgrading samba from source over debian packages

Steve Ankeny steve_a at cinergymetro.net
Wed Sep 28 11:06:24 UTC 2016

On 09/27/2016 05:17 PM, Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba wrote:
> On 2016-09-27 13:31, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:
>
>> Hello Elias,
>>
>> Am 27.09.2016 um 18:16 schrieb Elias Pereira via samba:
>>
>>> We have samba 4.1.17 installed via debian package and would like to install
>>> the latest version 4.5 from source.
>>>
>>> It's possible to perform this upgrade over the packages? If so, what the
>>> paths used in the installation via debian packages?
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source#Viewing_Built_Options_of_an_Existing_Installation
>>
>> Pass the paths as options to the 'configure' script. See --help.
>>
>> Don't forget to uninstall the packages before running 'make install'.
>> Otherwise you risk that a Debian update overrides your setup or getting
>> dependency problems.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marc
> When it comes to compiling from source I have just begun learning the
> "ins and outs" as they say. Now . . . here is a real newbie question,
> sorry but I don't know. What happens when said distro comes along with
> their own upgrade? Let's just say the distro comes along with version
> 4.4.5 upgrade, for example, is my version 4.5.0 from source installed to
> their paths ignored? As in left alone . . . as in their upgrade does not
> "mess up" my compiled installation?

You have to choose which version you want to use -- repository or compiled

Most of the time, upgrades such as you describe don't occur until the
LTS upgrade of the OS

Ubuntu 14.04 provided Samba 4.1.8  When Ubuntu upgraded to 16.04, that
changed to 4.3.8 but look what's happened now - that's gone to security
fixes only, and will be discontinued after a few more versions.

Although I've always wanted to use the repository version, I'm thinking
of compiling my own to stay current.