[Samba] updates of repsFrom/repsTo attributes (was : Re: replPropertyMetaData & KCC issues after updating to Samba 4.5.0)

garming at catalyst.net.nz garming at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Sep 28 05:25:55 UTC 2016

> Wasn't aware of this. Thank you for the info. If I was to delete the
> incorrect respsFrom/repsTo attributes, wouldn't the KCC just
> regenerate them over time once the KCC check and ISTG check kicked in?

As long as the topology doesn't change or DCs which are not bridgeheads
do not go offline, there should be basically zero additional reps over
time. How often they build up over time is an open question (when DCs do
go offline), I can't test every setup and I'm sure there are edge cases.
However if there are these additional links for when you have spuriously
unreliable DCs, they work just as well as a fallback.

The interSiteTopologyFailover attribute seems to be on the
NTDS-Site-Settings class. By default it probably isn't defined, but the
internal default value in both Samba and Windows is 2 hours.

The ITSG is not the same as the bridgehead server. The ITSG is a single
DC in the site which coordinates all the DCs and picks bridgehead
servers in the site to talk to other sites (at some DC bridgehead
arbitrarily chosen on the other end). The reason I ask who the ITSG was
is because if the ITSG is dead, it is reasonable to expect that there is
no current coordinator who is site-aware, and so no fallback has
occurred yet.

Cheers,

Garming