[Samba] Upgrading samba from source over debian packages

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Tue Sep 27 21:54:15 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-27 16:40, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 16:17:10 -0500
> Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> On 2016-09-27 13:31, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:
>
> Hello Elias,
>
> Am 27.09.2016 um 18:16 schrieb Elias Pereira via samba:
>
> We have samba 4.1.17 installed via debian package and would like
> to install the latest version 4.5 from source.
>
> It's possible to perform this upgrade over the packages? If so,
> what the paths used in the installation via debian packages?
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source#Viewing_Built_Options_of_an_Existing_Installation
>
> Pass the paths as options to the 'configure' script. See --help.
>
> Don't forget to uninstall the packages before running 'make
> install'. Otherwise you risk that a Debian update overrides your
> setup or getting dependency problems.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

When it comes to compiling from source I have just begun learning the
"ins and outs" as they say. Now . . . here is a real newbie question,
sorry but I don't know. What happens when said distro comes along with
their own upgrade? Let's just say the distro comes along with version
4.4.5 upgrade, for example, is my version 4.5.0 from source installed
to their paths ignored? As in left alone . . . as in their upgrade
does not "mess up" my compiled installation?

If you have the distro's packages installed and also have a
selfcompiled SAmba installed in /usr/local/samba, about all that would
happen is that the libnss links will get messed with.

If you have the distro's packages installed and compile Samba
yourself, but install it over the distro's packages, your install
could be overwritten by a distro package update.

Moral: never have the distro's Samba packages installed at the same
time as having a self compiled Samba install.

Rowland

Thank you Rowland. That is what I thought. To me, the novice that I am,
it seems odd to install to the distro paths when they could
inadvertently be overwritten during a standard distro upgrade. Thank you
the clear and simple answer.