[Samba] Upgrading samba from source over debian packages

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Sep 27 21:39:57 UTC 2016

Am 27.09.2016 um 23:17 schrieb Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba:
> On 2016-09-27 13:31, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:
>
>> Hello Elias,
>>
>> Am 27.09.2016 um 18:16 schrieb Elias Pereira via samba:
>>
>>> We have samba 4.1.17 installed via debian package and would like to install
>>> the latest version 4.5 from source.
>>>
>>> It's possible to perform this upgrade over the packages? If so, what the
>>> paths used in the installation via debian packages?
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source#Viewing_Built_Options_of_an_Existing_Installation
>>
>> Pass the paths as options to the 'configure' script. See --help.
>>
>> Don't forget to uninstall the packages before running 'make install'.
>> Otherwise you risk that a Debian update overrides your setup or getting
>> dependency problems.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marc
>
> When it comes to compiling from source I have just begun learning the
> "ins and outs" as they say. Now . . . here is a real newbie question,
> sorry but I don't know. What happens when said distro comes along with
> their own upgrade? Let's just say the distro comes along with version
> 4.4.5 upgrade, for example, is my version 4.5.0 from source installed to
> their paths ignored? As in left alone . . . as in their upgrade does not
> "mess up" my compiled installation?

surely when you use the default paths and hence you should learn to
build packages and override the distro onces whenever it is possible in
context of other dependencies

and even if you decide to install to /opt or /usr/local there is no
valid reason not to learn build packages - when i can't something
package to a rpm on my Fedora systems it has no reason to exist there be
it perl, python or whatever stuff