[Samba] openldap proxy cache for samba

Meike Stone meike.stone at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 27 14:42:30 UTC 2016

Hello,

we use samba with ldap backend. All is working well.
Now the user count should grow to about 3000 users in a mixed
environment with PCs and terminal servers.
So the most of the users typically have (more than one) sessions to
different terminal servers.
The smb version is (tragically) still v1 and a lot of the clients
comes over a NAT gateway.

To reduce the traffic to the remote ldap server(s) in the backend and
decrease the latency, I like to install a local OpenLDAP proxy cache
on the samba server.

Is this a practically way and does someone has experiences with such setup?
Does anyone can recommend settings for the pcache?

thanx in advance

Meike