[Samba] samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset - NT_STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 22:49:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm still getting these errors when I run 'samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset'.

On 11 September 2016 at 22:55, Jonathan Hunter <jmhunter1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> (I'm on Samba 4.5.0)
>
> user at dc2:~ $ sudo /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset
> set_nt_acl_no_snum: fset_nt_acl returned NT_STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL.
> ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (-1073741789, 'Buffer too small')
>   File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 176, in _run
>     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/ntacl.py", line 239, in run
>     lp, use_ntvfs=use_ntvfs)
>   File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py", line 1606, in setsysvolacl
>     passdb=s4_passdb, service=SYSVOL_SERVICE)
>   File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/ntacls.py", line 162, in setntacl
>     smbd.set_nt_acl(file, security.SECINFO_OWNER | security.SECINFO_GROUP | security.SECINFO_DACL | security.SECINFO_SACL, sd, service=service)

I guess nobody has seen these before. Unfortunately I've had a look at
the various Python files above, and I have to confess I am not a
Python coder - I don't really know where to start, in order to insert
some debug statements to print out various variables and see if I can
figure out exactly which buffer is too small, and why.

Is anyone familiar with this code and could possibly point me in the
right direction of where I might be able to debug this further?

I don't think I have a particularly large number of files in my sysvol
folder.. but I'm not sure what else it might be trying to do, or which
buffer is full.
$ sudo find /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ | wc -l
                        679

I have a nagging feeling it might be to do with me allocating
UIDs/GIDs to various groups in AD, using rfc2307 attributes.. but I'm
not certain of this, and am unsure as to how to check if that is
indeed what is causing the errors.

Cheers

Jonathan

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"