[Samba] dnsupdate_nameupdate_done - Failed DNS update

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 21:33:59 UTC 2016

On 23 September 2016 at 20:31, lingpanda101--- via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 9/23/2016 3:02 PM, Jonathan Hunter via samba wrote:
>
>> Nearly everything I can find regarding the TSIG errors is for BIND, which
>> I'm not running. Mathias said in May that samba_dnsupdate doesn't work
>> if using the internal DNS server, maybe this is the issue I'm having, and
>> I need to manually create the DNS entries that samba_dnsupdate has
>> spotted are missing..
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/linux.samba/7GGco_xXON8/O6iyVyMfDAAJ
>>

> The TSIG error you can disregard, as the updates do succeed with the
> internal DNS. This isn't a issue with Bind.

Thanks James; but for whatever reason, in my environment the updates don't
succeed at all with the internal DNS. I agree it isn't a BIND issue, but
I've had these TSIG errors for the last few hours (i.e. since adding the
nsupdate utility) and they haven't gone away.

Now, on two DCs, I have manually added the missing DNS entries
(samba_dnsupdate helpfully tells me exactly what I need to add) and I
haven't had a reoccurrence of the TSIG error since.. presumably because the
samba_dnsupdate tool is no longer trying to add any DNS entries. I shall
therefore now also add the DNS entries that the third DC is missing, and
hopefully all shall be well.

There does seem to be an issue using nsupdate with the internal DNS,
though. Is it just me and Mathias that has issues? I think I have worked
around the issue here, rather than actually fixing it - but surely the
internal DNS should work fine with this?

I'm happy to raise a bug report if that would help - but I wanted to check
that I wasn't missing something from my setup, first. This is one of those
things that I assumed must just work fine and therefore I must have
something configured wrong at my end :)

Cheers,

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"
      - Albert Einstein