[Samba] dnsupdate_nameupdate_done - Failed DNS update

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 15:31:06 UTC 2016

Thanks Rowland, I tried that just now, but as soon as I restarted samba,
the error occurred again a few seconds afterwards. The good news, I
suppose, is that it's easy to reproduce - each time I restart samba I get
the error :) But, it wasn't helped by adding "allow dns updates =
nonsecure" to smb.conf on one of my DCs.

I wonder if there is some error being flagged by the internal DNS sync
mechanism, instead of the port 53 listener - which would explain why it
happens when I start up samba, and why I can't see any relevant traffic
using tcpdump.. The comment above 'dnsupdate_nameupdate_done' says that it
is "called when dns update script has finished". If I did not get the
error, the code would instead continue to run, and log the message
"Completed DNS update check OK".

is there a way I can manually do whatever it is that a DNS update check
does, to see where the problem lies?

Lingpanda101 - I don't have a specific log level set, so I'm just using
whatever the default log level is. But, in the code I can see that these
messages are logged with debug level 0, so they would appear regardless of
what my log level was.
   DEBUG(0,(__location__ ": Failed DNS update - with error code %d\n", sys_
errno));

On 23 September 2016 at 15:22, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:11:21 +0100
> Jonathan Hunter <jmhunter1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you Rowland.
> >
> > I have a couple of reverse zones (different subnets across sites),
> > yes, these are in Samba AD/DNS as well.
> >
> > Where are you looking in the logs - I'm missing seeing the bit that
> > shows an update happening then failing?
> >
> > I tried tcpdump to find out what the query was that was failing, but I
> > couldn't see any updates, just queries :(
> >

> OOPS, should have read the code first, you are correct, what I thought
> was a success was just a portion of the code being run.
>
> Try adding 'allow dns updates = nonsecure' to smb.conf
>
> Rowland
>
> --

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"
      - Albert Einstein