[Samba] File server and AD

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 22 18:08:38 UTC 2016

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:38:57 -0300
Elias Pereira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I get it! :D
>
> The old Samba NT4 is in a freebsd. I would like to migrate to a new
> distro. I will use debian8.
>
> I have to copy the files and permissions from groups and users for
> this new. I've been searching and with rsync maybe I could do this.
> http://amar-linux.blogspot.com.br/2012/03/migrating-
> samba-server-and-users-in.html?m=1
>
> Have you done something like that?

well no, I also think you shouldn't need to either.

If you classic upgrade your NT4-style PDC to an AD DC, your users and
groups should have the same IDs, so if you back up everything you need,
then reformat the hard drive and install the new OS and install Samba
and join it to the new domain, you should find all your users and
groups are available. Now restore your backup and all the data should
be back.

Rowland