[Samba] idmap_ad

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 22 12:18:00 UTC 2016

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 08:02:36 -0400
Gaiseric Vandal via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Thanks to various people for the feedback.
>

> I had created a test domain group "IT"  with a gidNumber.   Under
> active directory users and groups, the test users had IT as the
> primary group.   Under the regular windows settings , the primary
> group was still "Domain Users" which did not have a gidNumber. Once I
> set a gidNumber , all was OK.
>
> This also worked on Samba 3.6.25 on Solaris 11.

I could have sworn I asked you this:

Have you also given Domain Users a gidNumber ??

Oh look, I did, two days ago ;-)

In AD all users have Domain Users as their primary group, this
includes Unix users. winbind will only display users if Domain Users has
a gidNumber and they have a uidNumber.
If you give a user a gidNumber, it will not be used as the users
primary Unix group.

Rowland