[Samba] Failed to retrieve share list from server

Adrian Godfrey lists at ags.lu
Wed Sep 21 12:56:55 UTC 2016

My  two  LinkStations  and a Terastation are visible in both "Network"
and  "Windows  Network" but clicking on any of them results in "failed
to retrieve share list from server".

I  have  Ubuntu  16.04 LTS and samba is installed. All are in the same
Windows  workgroup. All have static IP addresses 192.168.1.xxx and the
network connections are wired NOT wifi.

smbtree actually shows all the shares on those three Linux-based NAS.

All  four  Linux  devices and their shares are visible and accessible from my Windows 7
Ultimate PC.

Accessing my Windows PC from my Linux PC asks for a password, but that
is   a   separate   issue.

Adrian