[Samba] Exporting keytab for SPN failure

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Sat Sep 17 04:14:34 UTC 2016

Am 17.09.2016 um 04:53 schrieb Achim Gottinger via samba:

> Am 17.09.2016 um 03:24 schrieb r moulton via samba:
>> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Achim Gottinger via samba
>> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> Reading https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Keytab_Extraction
>>> ----- snip ----------------
>>> Offline Keytab Creation from Secrets.tdb
>>>
>>> If the net command fails (after all, that could be the reason for us to
>>> start sniffing...), you can still generate a keytab without domain
>>> admin
>>> credentials, if you can get a hold on the server's secrets.tdb. This
>>> method
>>> can also be done offline on a different machine.
>>>
>>> tdbdump secrets.tdb
>>>
>>> Now look for the key SECRETS/MACHINE_PASSWORD/<domain> - the
>>> password is the
>>> value without the trailing zero. Use the *ktutil* utility to
>>> construct the
>>> keytab:
>>> ------ snap -------------
>>>
>>> We do not use ktutil but use the password mentioned here for the
>>> "samba-tool
>>> user setpassword hostname$" command.
>>>
>>> This does not break replication and the aes keys are exported.
>> Ah, okay, I think I've got it, for my production domain:
>>   - step 1: use the above tdbdump trick to identify the existing
>> password
>>   - step 2: use samba-tool to "reset" the password to the same value
>>
>> I already reset the password of the single DC in my test domain.
>> Without other DCs in the picture there's effectively no harm done,
>> right? I do have a fairly recent samba_backup dump to use, if
>> necessary.
>>
> I tried to set the hosts password to something random and afterwards
> to the content in secrets.tdb again. Afterwards replication was broken
> again.
>
> The keyfile used for replication seems to be
> /var/lib/samba/private/secrets.keytab.
>
> It can be recreated after the password change with:
>
> samba-tool domain exportkeytab secrets.keytab --principal=HOST/server
> samba-tool domain exportkeytab secrets.keytab
> --principal=HOST/server.domain.tld
> samba-tool domain exportkeytab secrets.keytab --principal=SERVER$
>
> With this new secrets.keytab replications started working on my first
> dc again. But it is broken on the second one.
> It's abit tricky. :-)

Been having a few other network issues in my test environment. Tried
step1/2 on both dc's and things just keep running.
After the samba-tool password reset there is usually an
WERR_NETNAME-DELETE or similar error which disapers with the next
replication.
There was no need to recreate the secrets.keytab.