[Samba] samba to ad transition

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 16 20:26:21 UTC 2016

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 12:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
kajkoz via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I am going to upgrade our domain which is based on samba to AD. I'd
> like to have a 2 dc controllers.

I take it you are running Samba as an NT4-style domain at present, if
so have a look here for a start:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_domain_to_a_Samba_AD_domain_%28classic_upgrade%29

This will get you your first AD DC

But test it first on a VM

Next see here for your second DC:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_an_additional_Samba_DC_to_an_existing_Active_Directory

> After of this transition my plan is to use existing samba server as a
> file server with 2 new controllers.

See here for how to set up a domain member:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member

> How to do correctly that transition? How to setup the second DHCP
> server?

Virtually like the first one, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

But you will need to be using Bind9 instead of the internal DNS server,
see here for more info:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_BIND_as_backend_for_Samba_AD

The only real difference between the first DHCP server and the second
is, firstly you don't need to run the second, but if you do, you will
have to use failover. I can tell you how to do this, if you decide to
go down this path.

Rowland