[Samba] Point-and-Print driver installation asks for confirmation on current Windows

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Sep 16 11:40:16 UTC 2016

Hai Mario,

Ah ok, classic domain controller.
I havent tried it on a classic domain controller.
Why no AD DC, gives you much more options with group policiy settings.
Really much more flexability, but thats a choice.

> Printers are connected via login script. Users are asked for
> confirmation to install a driver.
> Can I get around this confirmation so that no user ever needs to confirm
> and the driver gets installed?

For now yes, users must confirm once.

If you want to avoid that, you can try it with AutoIt. https://deployhappiness.com/automating-installs-with-autoit/
or and advanced script
https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/133588-the-vollatran-project-application-installer-tool/
or
https://deployhappiness.com/automating-hardware-driver-installation-on-windows-7-and-above/

more examples google for it, there are more.

> Once the driver is installed on the computer, should it work without
> confirmation for other users of the computer or when the printer
> connection is removed and re-added?
Yes, once the driver is on the pc, its user independend and every other printer connects without confirmation when using the same driver.

Thats also why i use a "Universal" driver, i only install 2 drivers for about 15 printers.  ( hp and Xerox )
And a tip. When u use universal drivers, for example the HP.
Setup the driver as : "HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v6.2.1)"
and not as "HP Universal Printing PCL 6"
keeps is more easy to manage upgrade without messing up things. ;-)

Hope this help out a bit.

Greetz,

Louis