[Samba] samba as ADS member(s) - virtually identical yet..

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 12:55:34 UTC 2016

no conf files are the the culprit I'm afraid, not that easy.
I programmatically compared all relevant config files, they
only differ where they have to, exclude shares and only
differences are:
dedicated keytab file
netbios name

One peculiarity I spotted is when I rejoin that Samba system:

DNS Update for rider.private.domain.local failed:
ERROR_DNS_GSS_ERROR
DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

Than again a "but" - all four servers are in the same DNS
domain, and name resolution seems to work ok, from AD DC
point of view - it resolves Samba systems names - and from
Samba's, all Samba's get to AD via DNS. Again - everything
seems to be fine except for that smbclient on that one
server fails. Guest can list the shares - but a user with
password fails.
Even AD DC itself sees & lists that Samba's shares - and if
on Samba I disable guest auth method - that DC authenticates
with user+pass fine, apparently!

Version 4.2.10 @ centos 7.2 and AD is Win 2021R2.

thanks
L.